A huge number of researches on usability, UI/UX design, visual content, and conversion rates are regularly conducted. They help us to create better websites and make our web resources more effective.
In this article, we have collected the results of the most prominent researches. You will learn about the most common online shopping issues and discover current digital marketing trends.
Research on usability, UI/UX, and visual content
- 33% of smartphone users believe that the need to enlarge a link to click it is the main problem of mobile shopping (MultiChannelMerchant, Top 8 Mobile Shopping Problems, 2016).
- 65% of marketers use infographics as a marketing tool (Content Marketing Institute B2B Content Marketing, 2018).
- B2C marketers consider visual content to be the most important type of content 11% more often than B2B marketers (Social Media Examiner, 2018 Social Media Marketing Industry Report, 2018).
- After 3 days, people remember only 10% of the information they heard. Yet if it is supplemented with a relevant image with the same content, we can recall up to 65% (Brain Rules, Vision, 2012).
- 32% of marketers believe that images are the most important type of content for any business (Social Media Examiner, 2018 Social Media Marketing Industry Report, 2018).
- 55% of B2B marketers consider the creation of high-quality visual content their key task (Content Marketing Institute, B2B Content Marketing, 2016).
- 39% of users will leave the website if images won’t load (Adobe, The State of Content: Expectations on the Rise, 2015).
- Eye tracking research shows that users pay attention to images with important information. Therefore, if an image has what a user needs, they will spend more time studying it than reading the text on the same page (Nielsen Norman Group, Photos as Web Content, 2010).
- Good UI design can increase conversion up to 200%, and high-quality UX design – up to 400% (Forrester, The Six Steps For Justifying Better UX, 2016).
Digital Marketing Research
- 68% of B2B companies use landing pages for lead generation (Marketo, Data Talks, 2018).
- 61% of marketers claim that lead and traffic generation is their key task (HubSpot, State of Inbound, 2018).
- 53% of content marketers said that their company used interactive content for lead generation (Content Marketing Institute, Deliver Peak Experiences With Interactive Content, 2016).
- Only 22% of companies are satisfied with their conversion rates (Econsultancy, Conversion Rate Optimization Report, 2017).
- The use of videos on a landing page can increase conversion by 86% (Eye View, Increase Online Conversions Through Video, 2018).
- 84% of online users don’t want to place orders on unsecured websites (Blue Corona, Unsecured Website?, 2018).
- By 2021, the global ecommerce market will reach $4.5 trillion (Shopify, Global Ecommerce: Statistics and International Growth Trends, 2017).
- The less a company knows about its KPI, the less likely it is to get the planned income. 74% of companies which haven’t reached their planned financial indicators don’t know their target audience, leads, and sales opportunities (HubSpot, Demand Generation Benchmarks, 2015).
- It is expected that by 2020, the volume of B2B online sales will exceed B2C online sales (Ecommerce Platforms, Essential Ecommerce Statistics, 2018).
- Lead generation, sales, and lead nurturing are defined as three crucial goals for content marketers (WordStream, 23 Content Marketing Statistics that Prove It Works, 2018).
- 27% of marketers say that a limited budget is the key difficulty they face in their work (HubSpot, State of Inbound, 2018).
- Marketers that calculate return on investment (ROI) manage to increase their marketing budget 1.6 times more often than those who don’t (HubSpot, State of Inbound, 2018).
- By 2023, global marketing automation costs will reach $25.1 billion (Martech, Marketing Automation, 2018).
- Companies that nurture leads on their own make 50% more sales with a 33% lower price per lead (Strategic IC, 40 Statistics To Inform; Enhance B2B Lead Generation Strategies, 2017).
- 28% of a technology budget goes to infrastructure (servers, storage, networks) for storing marketing information (Gartner, CMO Spend Survey 2015-2016: Digital Marketing Comes of Age, 2016).
- 72% of companies that calculate and monitor their ROI are sure that their marketing strategy is effective (HubSpot, State of Inbound, 2018).
- From 70 to 80% of search engine users pay attention only to organic results and ignore ads (MarTech, Organic Search Statistics, 2018).
- 19% of people use Siri at least once per day (HubSpot, State of Inbound, 2018).
- The use of infographics can increase web traffic volume by 12% (Demand Gen Report, The Power of Visual Content, 2015).
- 85% of online users get content from multiple devices at the same time (Think with Google, 5 Online Trends to Inform Your 2017 Media Plan, 2016).
- 43% of B2C marketers believe that autoplay videos are the most effective content marketing tool (Content Marketing Institute, B2C Content Marketing, 2018).
- 54% of online users would like to see more video content on websites of brands and companies they support (HubSpot, Content Trends: Preferences Emerge Along Generational Fault Lines, 2017).
- By 2021, video traffic will comprise up to 82% of the global online traffic (Cisco, Cisco Visual Networking Index: Forecast and Methodology, 2016–2021).
- 65% of website visitors won’t fill in a subscription or registration form if it requires too much personal data (KoMarketing, B2B Web Usability Report, 2015).
- 44% of visitors can leave a website or become very annoyed if it doesn’t have contact information, 37% – because of poor design or navigation, and 33% – because of an autoplay video or audio (KoMarketing, B2B Web Usability Report, 2015).
Research in the field of online marketing helps us to work more efficiently and bring more value to our customers. Based on the research conducted during the past few years, we can make 7 key conclusions:
- The volume of mobile traffic is steadily growing, so make sure to adapt your website for mobile devices.
- Infographics and relevant images are a great way to attract and engage users.
- Since users receive a lot of information online, make sure they understand how you can solve their problem right after they land on your website.
- Year by year, users become more friendly towards video content, and this tendency continues.
- The calculation of return on investment and other KPIs plays a vital role in achieving the set goals.
- The generation of high-quality links is the primary task of most digital marketers.
- Marketing automation is a key online marketing trend. It allows achieving more using fewer resources.