Currently, banner ads have become very popular due to their new opportunities and flexibility. Various forms and sizes can be used. This allows for creating a product that suits the purposes of the company. Google Ads uses banner ads for informing the consumer about campaigns, special offers, products, or services. It is very easy and profitable to attract new customers.
Google Ads banners will be displayed in the large Google Display Network with more than two million websites covering at least 90% users of the Internet. So it’s a great chance to broadcast the ad on many different resources including not only websites but also video and mobile apps.
Why Google Ads is worth choosing?
Google Display Network is ideal for finding new customers and expanding the business. It provides several targeting variants that make the ads appear in the right place at the right time.
Besides this, Google Ads banner ads have the following advantages:
- intended coverage: the target audience will see the banners.
- simple start and intuitive management;
- banners can be placed on any platform
- increased brand awareness and forecastable results.
Currently, there are 18 banner sizes. You can use your graphic ads. Also, adaptive ads can be used. Their design and size depend on the advertising space format. They can be prepared in the Google interface.
There are two types of ad banners:
- static images
- animated images in GIF and HTML5 format that combine animation and action targets.
Please note that Google has different requirements for different banner formats.
Tips for creating banner ads in Google Ads
1. Always use the most efficient banner sizes. Google Adsense recommends the following:
- 728×90 – medium-sized rectangle (top leader)
- 300×600 – half of the page
- 300×250 – integrated triangle
- 336×280 – big rectangle.
2. Please select the right place for publishing banner ads. They should be chosen very thoroughly. The best place is at the top of the page near the main content. In such case there are more chances that the visitors will see it.
3. Always follow a hierarchy. All ads should be balanced properly. This allows increasing the efficiency of such banners, improving brand awareness, and attracting customers to the resource. For providing this the banner should have three components:
- company logo for increasing brand awareness. Please make sure that it is visually distinctive, fits into a bigger picture;
- the offer for attracting the consumer. It should be a price offer, e.g., discounts up to 30%, specials or an attractive offer such as premium quality, long-term guarantee, etc.
- call to action – it should be a text or a button that should attract the user and encourage him/her, E.g., “find out more”, “see now”, “Select” etc.
4.Look simple – usually, the user sees the banner for a few seconds, so there is no need to make too complicated effects. Everything should be as simple as possible and interesting at the same time.
5. Use the buttons properly. This can increase the click-through rate depending on the type of banners. They should be bright and noticeable but fit into the general idea and design.
6. Use distinct frames. Usually, the most successful banners have a distinct frame with directional graphical elements. E.g., a white ad will be perfectly suitable with a 1 px gray frame.
7. An easily readable text. Firstly, the text and header should have a different font size. Secondly, the banner text should not exceed four strings, the less the better. A well-designed text gives more chances that the user will read it and pay attention to it.
8. Use good fonts. Don’t use italics, too thin fonts, or fonts with size below 10 pt. The text should be noticeable. Small fonts can be used for copyright info only.
9. Animation as an efficient tool for drawing attention. Usually, animated banners are better than static, but they should be well-designed. The animation should not distract the user from the message. So the banner animation should not exceed 15 s and be repeated not more than trice. It is strongly recommended to use a clear call to action as the last animation frame.
10. It is difficult but very important to be distinctive and suitable. Try making the banner style similar to the website general style as possible, but make sure that the banner does not blend with other information on these resources. Banner ads should be well-visible for increasing the click-through rate.
11. Banners should comply with the brand. Banner ads forward the users to the target page with the offer. If the banner style has a completely different design, this can confuse the users and they may leave the website without a chance to return.
12. A feeling of urgency can be useful. Such designer solutions as bold and contrast colors and the text itself can make the banner looking urgent. Delicate and subtle banner ads are not always successful.
13. The right illustrations should be used where appropriate. For making an efficient banner the graphic elements and photos should intensify the text; they are directly related to your product or service. No way around it.
Don’t worry if you can’t afford professional photo sessions and cover girls at the cusp of developing your business. You can purchase cheap stock photos as there is a lot of them now. Choose unique illustrations that perfectly suit your design.
Please note that working banners may not contain illustrations. A pleasant print and a proper text can gain this effect.
- Apply filters and graphic effects to photos. Successful altering of the color balance and contrast of the photo can make it more attractive. Also properly combine graphic design and photos for creating the most attractive visual effects.
- If possible, use images that refer to the location. Many users want to understand where they can get the products or services. E.g., if you have offices in two towns it’s recommended to create two banners with location-specific images. Then your ads will be as relevant as possible.
- The importance of choosing the proper scheme can be hardly overestimated. Users have different associations with each color so choose the proper colors depending on the emotions you wish to stir from your audience. Coloristics is an issue that is the first to catch the user’s eyes. Study this question more thoroughly and you’ll see that your banner advertising became more efficient.
E.g., according to some researches, young people find light tones more pleasant while older people find dark and sharp hues.
- Colors should be directly related to the product, brand, or trademark. E.g., green is often used for natural products; violet is perfect for expensive luxury products. If the brand has a logo and a designed gamut, use them.
- Small file sizes are preferable for Google Ads, so it’s worth storing images with size below 150 KB. This ensures that prospects will see your banner before scrolling down. The less size the file has, the faster it loads. You may have noticed that banner ads load faster than the page itself, so this is what you need.
- The file format also matters. JPG, PNG, GIF, and HTML5 files are the most suitable ones. Designers often use Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop for making files in JPG, PNG, and GIF formats and in Google Web Designer or Adobe Nimte for making HTML5 files.
- The call button should visually contrast with other ad elements. It is recommended to place it in the lower right part of the ad. The button can contain such words as “buy”, “register”, “subscribe” etc. This a direct call to action without any subtle hints and roundabout approaches.
The most popular banner sizes and examples of leading global brands.
Sizes of banners and their examples:
Leaderboard banner ad – 728×90
It is one of the most popular ad slots aka Leaderboard Banners or Super Banners. It is 728 px wide and 90 px high. Usually, such elements are placed in the upper page part for catching the user’s eyes when s/he load the page. It is the most expensive ad, but it has the highest efficiency, so the price is reasonable. Such messages are used for expandable ads as they expand conveniently and look pleasant for the user.
728×90 is one of the most efficient ad slots, so if you plan to make ad banners, keep it in mind. Its price is paid off by its performance.
1. Ad of Apple Music app in dark tones and a frame from the clip.
2. Google banners are very laconic and are always on target.
3. Microsoft has used its logo, pastel shade, and ad of a new laptop with a feature of ordering it by clicking on the banner.
4. A selection of the best books and ad of free Amazon books.
5. A minimalist animated banner designed in the Facebook brand colors.
6. Coca-Cola banner ads involve brand red tones and creative mottoes.
7. Samsung has used a dark background, minimum of text, and an action button without description.
8. Ad of Disney store with a short motto, bright image, and action button.
9. A good example of a minimalist white banner with a bright red frame, brand logo, and Toyota motto.
10. An animated McDonalds banner with a delicious photo, price offer, and brand logo.
11. Banner with AT&T animation with the ad of the Internet for business in the USA designed in a brand blue color.
12. A fine example of a laconic banner ad where the name of Louis Vuitton brand is used only on a pretty light background.
13. A rather simple ad of an online security problem in blue tones and a noticeable action button.
14. NIKE brand is so recognizable that its logo is enough for advertising a new pair of trainers.
15. Animated ad of Cisco app used for easy and safe communication in a video chat.
16. Animated GE banner with a recognizable logo and direct offer.
17. Animated banner ad of Mercedes-Benz with beautiful photos and a creative text.
18. A great example of banners with an insightful and eye-catching text working in your behalf.
19. An offer from Verizon to open an account in an online bank with a properly selected photo and action button.
20. IBM banner for attracting the customer due to a laconic and clear text and a simple picture.
21. BMW banner with special offers that can be clarified from the local dealers.
22. SAP banner ad is a bit fact-laden, but is designed in a general style and is rather efficient.
23. Bright and catching Budweiser banner with their logo.
24. Visa animated banner for advertising their features of swift payment for products and services.
25. Walmart – one of the most popular chain stores – advertises its rust remover.
26. A simple banner designed in American Express colors with price offers.
27. Оriginal Honda animation presenting a new car model and discounts for previous variants.
28. Tasty and refreshing Pepsi is a great example when a recognizable brand does not require many efforts for creating an attractive banner.
29. Sometimes only the name Gucci backed by the sky is enough for advertising.
30. L’Oréal has used the product photos, a brief description, and the “Buy now” action button on its banner.
31. Brand orange color and simple offer to join Home Depot – a minimalist banner.
32. A noticeable button with the call “Try this for free” often works efficiently. Hermès uses it.
33. Ad of a new Nescafe cappuccino in coffee tones and with a package photo.
34. “Find a perfect breakfast at Starbucks” is the motto of the banner with a photo of a tasty sandwich.
35. Short text and minimalist color, logo, and Accenture offer.
36. A great example of proper use of numbers in a Gillette banner ad.
37. Netflix advertises the third series offering to watch it by clicking on the banner.
38. IKEA banners include a profitable price offer and product photo.
39. Bright sunny colors for advertising new sunny Fritos.
40. A red car and catching saturated gray tone are used in the ad.
41. Example of proper use of numbers and creative text in the banner ad of Wells Fargo.
42. The dark background and attractive price offer are Mastercard techniques used in this banner ad.
43. Siemens properly uses eye-catching texts and well-matched photos.
44. Banners of CVS pharmaceutical companies take much room for a logo and advertise vitamins.
45. Sell-out in Zara is represented on a light banner with a photo of a pretty cover girl.
46. Animated banner for ESPN sports channel encourages users to watch their favorite matches.
47. Banners of such carmakers as Ford include the best livery models only.
48. Nestle has a simple and appealing banner with an attractive offer.
49. A banner encourages using an attractive UPS promotional code; this always draws the attention of users.
50. Try out the new printing quality right now together with HP printers.
Ad slot – 300×250
It is a standard advertising banner 300 px wide and 250 px high. It is also known as Inline Rectangle, Med Rec, MREC, or Medium Rectangle. Usually, such banners are placed over the bend. They are often used as part of a large advertising space with a 300х600 ad slot. They are also considered to be one of the most efficient advertising means, so this determines their high cost.
Many specialists note that this platform is the best one. When ordering such an ad slot, check its position on the website where you buy it. Please make sure that there are no slots of the same size on the page and you pay for the right thing. The lower the banner is on the page, the lower its performance is.
1. A well-designed light banner with a price offer and action button that attracts customers.
2. Ad of a new app of the company. It includes a price, an image, and an action button “Buy now”.
3. A good example of minimalistic design and proper color use; this is how Microsoft advertised a new laptop.
4. Celebrate with Amazon gift cards – a short-spoken offer in pleasant mint tones.
5. Bright and rich colors with a short text and a catchy action button.
6. The brand red color of Coca-Cola and rich images; no action button.
7. An animated banner that demonstrates the features of using a new washing machine as part of the interior.
8. This bright banner offers a recipe for original Disney cupcakes in form of Winnie-the-Pooh.
9. An advertising banner of a new Toyota model with a pop-up and an action button.
10. An offer of quick breakfasts in a bright banner with a photo of the meal and cost.
11. A well-designed animated banner made according to the requirements of the design of such ads.
12. The advertising of Louis Vuitton clothes with a famous cover girl; as usual, in light tones.
13. In this ad, Intel used the face of a famous comic actor and an attractive offer.
14. What makes an attractive NIKE banner? Bright colors and well-shot trainers a motto.
15. A good example of the right use of a potent text in a Cisco animated banner ad.
16. A detailed drawn banner that attracts users due to a short motto and noticeable action button.
17. An animated banner that presents different parts of a new Mercedes-Benz model of the company colors.
18. This banner perfectly combines a beautiful photo, a short and insightful text so as a call to action.
19. Several techniques were used here for drawing attention – an attractive price offer, a beautiful photo, and a feature for going to the offer by clicking the action button.
20. IBM designers fulfilled their task to attract customers with a text and an original photo.
21. BMW Х2 ad with an attractive photo, popular logo, and action button.
22. An attractive offer from SAP software combined with a pleasant image is a good banner ad.
23. A banner ad of a summer Budweiser specialty with animation, rich colors, and an extremely live image.
24. Visa ad banner with an attractive price offer of a gift certificate.
25. A banner ad with a special offer from Walmart involving bright colors and an action button.
26. Best offer from American Express bank in a laconic banner in blue tones.
27. Like banners of other carmakers, Honda banner includes a beautiful photo of a new car model and a feature to go to its description.
28. A rather long animation in a Pepsi banner ad with a presentation of a summer specialty.
29. Ads of fashion houses always include the best fashion photos with a presentation of a new Gucci collection.
30. An ad of a new L’Oréal mascara with “Before/after” animation is a great solution.
31. A very creative banner by Home Depot designers with images instead of some letters.
32. A beautiful example of a short and eye-catching video banner.
33. This banner for Nescafe draws attention due to a cost-efficient offer and photos of flavorful coffee.
34. A great banner with animation and ad of a new double offer from Starbucks.
35. Text animation with bright colors in a banner ad by Accenture.
36. A bright flame-colored background and Gillette shaving stick always draw attention to the banner.
37. A-frame from the series and call to watch the encore make a perfect Netflix banner.
38. An animated banner with an ad of new kitchen ventilation and prices of IKEA.
39. A pack of new Fritos became a biggie of the Frito-Lay advertising campaign.
40. Animated banner warning about the need to control airbag as this is very important for everyone.
41. An eye-catching original photo and a good offer from Wells Fargo.
42. Black-and-white ad of Mastercard black card is an original and attractive solution
43. May your ideas become true with Siemens – a banner in company color and with a good frame.
44. Banner with a photo of a beautiful cover girl and an offer of CVS cosmetics.
45. “Plan your visit” button is not often used in banner ads, but Zara appeared to be creative.
46. This ad involves a technique with using numbers that attract the customer and encourage him/her to subscribe for an attractive offer.
47. Go further with Ford – a motto with a logo makes a perfect banner.
48. A cute photo and a pop-up perfectly suit an ad of Nestle baby food.
49. An original text with a properly selected photo for UPS.
50. A chance to save money and get a free shipment to make HP banner customer-attractive.
Ad slot – 300×600
Ad slot 300 px wide and 600 px high. It is also known as Monster MPU, Half Page Unit (HPU), or Filmstrip. Such an ad can have its own advertising space or set up as multi-size advertising space with 300х250 banners.
It is a rather productive ad slot. The price matches its efficiency. It is not so popular as currently, not many websites are suitable for publishing it. Usually, 300×600 banners are placed on the side of the page.
1. A creative black-and-white banner ad that attracts customers with interesting images and short text.
2. “Grow with Google” – a motto combined with a photo and company-specific design make the banner noticeable.
3. Advertising of new Microsoft educational programs with great photos and an alluring text.
4. An original ad of free audiobooks in dark colors and bright covers.
5. Facebook used a motto with a direct call to action and a pleasant photo.
6. As usual, Coca-Cola brand photos make people feel hungry and thirsty. A great example of using high-quality photos in advertising.
7. An animated banner ad that represents a new spatial monitor and its features.
8. A multi-tone restrained banner with Disney logo, advertising text, and an action button.
9. An example of a good banner with a price offer, properly selected image, and two action buttons at option.
10. “Worldwide favorites are here” is the motto of the new McDonalds banner with a photo of the best world meals and an action button.
11. A rather minimalist AT&T banner of company colors with a short text and a noticeable action button.
12. Louis Vuitton relies on the best cover girls and the beauty of their products. This allows them to make the most beautiful banners.
13. “Always protected” is the Intel banner motto with a properly selected photo and noticeable offer.
14. Walk on air with a new NIKE collection – a beautiful and laconic banner ad.
15. Banner with a pop-up text and flashing action button with a video chat ad.
16. Famous GE frog tells that it arrived for saving your money; such banners are very eye-catching.
17. One of the banners of Mercedes-Benz that uses mottoes about values and corresponding photos.
18. So as other Oracle banners, a perfect photo, pastel shades, and a catchy text. A great example for developers.
19. A minimalist banner with a special offer: logos and a favorable price.
20. A very creative animated IBM banner with a direct call to action.
21. A great animated banner with an ad of a new BMW X7 that became larger and more comfortable.
22. SAP banners include properly selected photos and a catchy text.
23. Budweiser has used a creative text and a great frame with its product for creating a banner. It makes one feel thirsty.
24. Money is changing – an animated banner from Visa with celebrities.
25. Walmart chain store has used a banner for advertising drugs with a short text and a photo of the package.
26. Check out attractive offers from American Express – this is how banner ad with photos of payment cards attracts users.
27. Red Honda became a biggie of this banner ad with a light background.
28. A classic bottle of Pepsi and their eye-catching brand logo became the biggie of this banner.
29. Such brands as Gucci use the most beautiful fashion photos for their banner ads.
30. An animated banner with an ad of L’Oréal hair dye where the photos of a famous actress were used.
31. Another example of a very minimalist banner of Home Depot.
32. Everything starts with a dream – a rather creative Hermès dark banner.
33. Ad of a new more fine-ground coffee from Nescafe on a dark banner with a photo of the package.
34. Starbucks banner that attracts users with a price offer.
35. A very creative and original Accenture ad.
36. A beautiful photo played a significant role in this ad of a new Gillette shaving stick.
37. A fade-in pop-up logo of the new Netflix series on a dark background encourages fans to watch it right now.
38. A pleasant photo of the interior and a favorable price offer from IKEA for attracting customers.
39. The user will notice a bright ad of new Fritos at once.
40. The motto of this banner is “Put your Audi in the best hands”. A creative and attractive ad.
41. A great offer from Wells Fargo backed by a pretty girl is perfect for attracting customers.
42. An insightful text and properly selected colors on Mastercard banner.
43. Such Siemens banners will draw the attention of customers really interested in the offer.
44. This banner involves bright red tones typical for CVS pharmacy brand.
45. A great example of how one can play on bright-red – a great Zara banner.
46. A banner with a famous sportswoman for the ESPN sports channel.
47. A perfect photo of a cover girl from Ford and a creative text – for sure, this banner is worth paying attention.
48. The Nestle ad always reminds that millions of parents have chosen them so that the user would also get around doing this.
49. “Who would like to miss a chance save up to 40% on shipment?” – an offer of an animated UPS banner.
50. Surely, a bright color, attractive offer, and a beautiful photo on HP banner are very attractive.
Banner size – 160×600
It is a standard ad slot 160 px wide and 600 px high. It is aka “wide skyscraper”, “super skyscraper” or “skyscraper ad”. Usually, it is placed on the side of the page so that the users would see the ad when scrolling down. This makes skyscrapers less popular than the above-described banners, but still, they are efficient enough, so they play an important role in additional advertising and boost in income. Its advantage is that it longer stays on the page and users have a chance to pay attention to it. But don’t rely on them only.
1. Banner with a music listening app with a photo of an actress and an action button.
2. Another laconic, but clear Google banner that covers all tips for creating a good ad.
3. Keep your data safe – an ad of new tools from Microsoft.
4. Pleasant colors, a bright picture, and action button “Buy now” so as on other Amazon banner ads.
5. Facebook made a banner ad with a dark background, call to action, and an action button.
6. Animated Coca-Cola banner with a famous motto and company colors.
7. An animated banner ad of a series of Samsung smart gadgets with a dark background.
8. Now toys are here – a banner ad of Disney store with an attractive image from the new cartoon series.
9. A perfect photo of a new car model in gray tones, a bright company logo, and an action button.
10. An ad of a new McDonalds value meal on an animated banner with a price offer.
11. A banner ad of an attractive price offer from AT&T with a description and a photo.
12. A banner ad of a new Louis Vuitton perfume with a neat photo of the bottle backed by warm colors.
13. An animated banner with a famous actor and attractive offer for geniuses.
14. A creative banner for NIKE and an ad of a new model of athletic footwear.
15. A very simple banner with a good text including a direct call to action by Cisco.
16. A quote only takes minutes – animation in the GE banner ad.
17. A banner in dark tones with animation advertising truck models from Mercedes-Benz with a price offer.
18. A banner with a photo of the founder and its Oracle business motto is very customer-attractive and encourages to find out more.
19. “Need a new mattress, search here” is a great text for attracting those who are interested in such an offer.
20. Take control with IBM is a very good text with a properly-selected frame.
21. An ad of BMW Mini product range with a price offer and a bright image.
22. A great example of a minimalistic banner with properly-used colorists and a short text.
23. An animated banner with a summer specialty from Budweiser with a bright color scheme and tasty photos.
24. Another banner ad from Visa. It underlines its main advantage such as fast payment.
25. In all banners, Walmart uses a noticeable and user-friendly action button “buy now”.
26. An animated banner with an attractive price offer from American Express is simple and clear.
27. A football pitch is the best place for shooting sports cars.
28.New look, same taste – a motto of a new banner ad from Pepsi.
29. A new Gucci collection and new fashion shots are perfect for drawing attention.
30. A banner ad of a new L’Oréal hair conditioner with a rather long text and beautiful colors.
31. A Home Depot logo and one sentence on orange background – sometimes this is enough for a banner.
32. An ad of a Hermès perfume with a photo of a bottle and action button “Description”.
33. A bright and dynamic banner ad of coffee with caramel taste by Nescafe.
34. Presentation of new desserts with original taste from Starbucks with an opportunity to find out more.
35. A black-and-white photo and green pop-up attractive text that encourages you to stay what you are together with Accenture.
36. A new Gillette shaving stick became the centerfold of this banner.
37. An ad of a new Netflix show with text techniques and an image.
38. An ad of IKEA summer sales with a red text on a white background is very efficient.
39. Banner ads of a new series of Fritos were designed in the colors of the package. Looks great.
40. An original animated ad with a selection of photos of Audi cars.
41. An animated banner from Wells Fargo with an attractive offer to open a card with a 0 rate.
42. A special offer from Mastercard involving all techniques of attracting customers.
43. Siemens specialists propose to automatize any processes in the house.
44. An ad of probiotics with a photo of the package and properly-used coloristic.
45. Exquisite black colors and beautiful clothes by Zara make this banner as attractive as possible.
46. This banner ad offers to watch the best games in HQ with ESPN.
47. A new Ford car model in beautiful gray tones with the company blue color.
48. A cute photo of a baby girl and a gift – this Nestle banner has everything for attracting the customer.
49. A photo of a happy man and an attractive price offer is the best techniques for UPS banners.
50. HP has chosen a simple white background and subtle text with an attractive offer, so such banners are productive.
Google Ads banner is an efficient and simple way to attract users and new customers. It is very important to do this properly. Currently, two banner formats are the most common ones: 300х250 and 728×90. They provide more than 50% of coverage. If you don’t plan hiring designers and investing much, we recommend using at least such banners.
Brand companies use at least 7 banner formats; this allows covering more than 95% of the audience. Usually, these formats include the above-listed ones: 728х90, 300х250, 160х600, and 300х600. If you wish to take full advantage of banner ads, be generous and use all banner formats.