Welcome to the ultimate SEO guide for Ecommerce Websites in 2023! While SEO can seem like a daunting concept, this guide will walk you through every step of optimizing your eCommerce website for search engine success. Whether you are new to SEO or have been dabbling for years, this comprehensive guide is sure to leave no stone unturned in helping you make your mark on the online 🌎 world.
How to start SEO for Ecommerce Website?
As we can see in practice, many entrepreneurs, who start a business in eCommerce, are ready to invest big money in creating a unique eCommerce website with proper SEO. However, not all consider the fact that expenses will mainly be directed to the eCommerce website promotion.
It is common for a website owner to take care of SEO himself. He googles “website search engine optimization” or “how to promote a website,” finds more or less clear methods and schemes, tries to do a portion of the SEO work by himself, and assigns another portion to freelancers. He might even try to learn SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and go for SEO training or subscribe to an SEO course on some random website. However, when he realizes that Internet promotion and SEO itself demand a very individual and, at the same time, complex overall strategy (which is over his head), he goes to an SEO specialist to fix his website. As a result, he loses a lot of money, time, and effort. And there is a significant amount of time left for him to improve upon his errors and create a powerful eCommerce website with great SEO! By wasting time, you diminish your advantages over your competitors and miss out on many opportunities to promote your website.
One more important thing that many businesspeople do not consider, even when assigning the store promotion to a qualified SEO agency, is their personal participation in the website creation and SEO process. Unfortunately, it’s not enough to transfer money to the agency’s account and sit back, waiting for SEO results to appear on your eCommerce website. Instead, a CLIENT AND AN EXECUTANT COORDINATE the SEO plan for an eCommerce website, stages, channels, methods, and tools.
Most articles tell us about the technical side of eCommerce SEO (about search optimization and contextual advertising), and I will tell you about peculiarities from the owner’s side. of the eCommerce site owner.
Most articles tell us about the technical side of eCommerce SEO (about search engine optimization), and I going to talk about the features from the side of the eCommerce website owner.
The Essence of SEO Agencies’ and eCommerce Website Owners’ Work
The work of an SEO agency on websites:
- An analysis of competitors from the technical side.
- SEO audit and the eCommerce website specifics.
- Creating an SEO strategy.
- Work with external links.
- Optimizing the eCommerce website so that search engines do not ban your website.
- Making a content plan.
- Collection of potential client behavior data.
- Constantly following the eCommerce marketing strategy.
The eCommerce website owner’s work is essential:
- Correct deployment of SEO for an online store.
- Handover of authority.
- Personal control of all SEO processes.
- Control of sales and managers’ work.
- A search for ideas and developing tasks regarding eCommerce website promotion from the side of order processing optimization and other business processes.
- Following Internet marketing strategies and SEO strategies.
ECommerce SEO, and a whole complex of works, are directed to the best result – the success of your business. An online store promotion is an accurate work that is typically not inexpensive (especially if you are interested in a fast-going promotion).
Reasons why eCommerce Website Owners Stop Investing in SEO
According to my research on the growth of eCommerce websites, seventy percent of new stores out of every hundred stop investing in SEO after a certain amount of time has passed. This can occur after the first month or after the sixth month, and the reasons for this can vary:
- The wrong choice of a contractor – promotion to the top failed, the store was banned or came close to it, the main SEO mistakes were not fixed, and the work went with rented links.
- No time to take care of that part of the business personally; the employee assigned does not cope with the job, which is figured out too late.
- Taking care of Internet marketing only on your own.
- Admiration of perfectionism when watching shades and accurate pixels.
- Overestimating yourself, looking for “cheaper” and “faster.”
The one, who opens an online store, who is ambitious and ready to work more than 10 hours a day to make everything work, will get results on their eCommerce website. In fact, like any other business, SEO for an eCommerce website and achieving a goal by sales require a lot of patience to get the desired results. Nothing will work if you do not enjoy your work and put in the effort.
Website promotion has various tasks to achieve, and its successful realization can be a repetitive and laborious effort. Internet advertising is a powerful marketing tool. However, good SEO requires a great deal of time and effort, and not everyone can put in that amount of work every day (though they must do it since pausing results in a loss of ground) to get their eCommerce website properly optimized. So again, having no relevant education and experience or even starting to learn SEO, you will spend much more on eCommerce promotion than an SEO specialist would need.
Yet, this isn’t the full list of reasons eCommerce retailers stop running their businesses.
Plerdy’s Research On SEO for eCommerce Websites
- Marek Murawski, Senior SEO Specialist at TechNest
- Rodrigo Lasanta. Senior Technical SEO at Executive Digivate
- Rafael Garcia Head of Content JivoChat
- Georg Seebode, Senior SEO at Kenjo
- Mitja Pogačar, Head of SEO at AdStar
- Fili Wiese, SEO Expert at Fili
- Leszek Dudkiewicz, Head of SEO at PhotoAiD
- Andrea Motta. Senior SEO Manager at BRYTER
- Charlotte Maghe, Head of SEO at Sortlist
- Keith Dean, Head of SEO at Digital Bullet
The survey participants also included companies with over 500K of monthly traffic. Among them: BBC, home24, idealo, ClickUp, iGraal, Grove Collaborative, Renderforest, pigu.It, and others. You can view the survey report at the link.
If you are not satisfied with your eCommerce website’s ranking, you need to take urgent steps to improve its SEO. Learn what these practical steps can be from this SEO Case Study. It illustrates how we optimized three pages of our Plerdy website to enhance its position in the SERP. By following them, you will achieve a higher ranking for your eCommerce website and, thus, increase organic traffic and sales.
The Evolution of the Internet Market
To properly promote an eCommerce website, it is necessary to analyze the current situation in the market. I searched for the term “eCommerce” in the Google Trends database under the category of “purchases.” The following is a breakdown of how the market has evolved over the past five years. Because more and more people are getting online, this number is still lower than the all-time high.
The consumers’ transition to the web has become a global trend. As a result, the quote of this market in the structure of eCommerce is growing 23% year-over-year.
Such preconditions allow us to conclude that a high-quality SEO for eCommerce websites is the priority for an ambitious entrepreneur who intends to carve their piece of the pie in a certain market segment.
Launching an Ecommerce Website
If you have an offline store, it will be easier to bring it online by developing an eCommerce website. The reason is you already have many problems solved, especially if it’s about product availability and supply. In addition, it gives you an advantage right off the bat because it raises the number of options available to you so that you manage the marketing strategy for your online store in a more targeted manner. In that case, picking a niche is a challenging endeavor that calls for taking some distinct considerations into account along with proper SEO:
- Pay attention to a margin because sooner or later, the costs invested should make a profit; the sooner, the better.
- Rely on what you like doing to provide your clients with informative and expert advice and know all the advantages of the products you sell.
General marketing research results show that many online eCommerce websites selling appliances are excessive these days.
The high competition in this particular scenario makes SEO for eCommerce more difficult. If you want to advertise an online company that sells things like clothing or home appliances, you should expect to meet a lot of competition along the route. Either excessive financial expenses (in fact, without trustworthy guarantees) or enormous quantities of time are going to be needed for SEO strategies to be implemented on an eCommerce website (which is sometimes more valuable than money).
At the same time, the market still has new niches, which will complete competitors and where the online retail promotion will be a bit more effective. For example:
- Selling handmade laptop bags or laptop bags brought from China.
- Selling handmade socks with unique designs.
- Selling cell phone cases and accessories.
Due to technical limitations, traditional Internet marketing strategies, such as advertising for online stores, cannot always be applied to specific niches.
It is reasonable to conduct additional marketing research on the demand and analyze information about looking for a supplier for a particular kind of product to determine the most interesting niches you want to take care of and develop. This can help you determine which niches you want to focus on the most.
Seed Capital to Start an Ecommerce Business
I will walk you through the potential expenses associated with starting in SEO and building eCommerce websites. It is important to point out that this is merely a model and that the specifics of each area of expertise and computation could change depending on what is required.
The successful development of an online store that sells clothing and its promotion to the top ten and the successful development of an online store that sells heating systems from the very beginning require different approaches, methods, and instruments at their core.
Expenses are divided into one-time and permanent. For me, the list looks this way:
- To create an eCommerce website – 5000$ one-time.
- Different business processes for a start – 1250-1850$ periodically (maybe not at the start).
- Product purchases – 1250-2500$ periodically (depends on if there is an offline business and how you plan to start working with goods).
- Domain, hosting (monthly) – 60-100$.
Based on this data, let’s calculate expenses and the estimated turnover for six months:
- expenses for 6 months:5 + 1,25 + 3 * 2,5 + 6 * 0,25 + 0,25 + 6 * 0,25 = 15750$;
- the turnover on 6th month may be:300 * 30 * 1% * 200 = 18000$;
- pure profit:20% * 117 = 3600$, estimated shortage on 6th month maybe 3000-4000$
“300” is daily traffic, “30” is the number of days in a month, “1%” is one person from a hundred who entered and will buy an item – it is called “conversion,” “200” is an average cart check, “20%” is a profit made on a product.
Data may drastically vary since there are 50-300% margin products, but it does not mean they are easy to sell. Three hundred people daily, maybe only 1-5% of the market. So, there is some room for improvement.
Based on these calculations, I can conclude that it is generally profitable. Our case studies show the same: stores have profits, and they increase. Keeping a tight rein on one’s financial obligations is one of the primary responsibilities of a new business owner. It is only normal to continue attracting more potential customers after establishing an online store; as a result, advertising the online store is necessary.
Website SEO is not a whim; it is the main constituent of your successful business evolution. An improvement of your website’s position in the ranking, an increase in attendance and the number of deals, a growth of an average check, attracting and keeping new customers, and many other goals are achieved using a competent SEO.
It means throwing money away on various forms of online advertising. Something else, there is no justification for developing an online storefront at all. Create a cost guide and get advice from people on what you need to start, what isn’t overly important, and what should be further improved when necessary. As they say: “Don’t be reluctant to surrender the useful for the incomparable.” The sooner you begin fostering your business on the web, the sooner you will get an outcome.
5 Important Moments that May Slow Down an eCommerce SEO
In this section, I’m sharing with you the five crucial aspects which may be the reason for your eCommerce SEO slowing down. Examine the possible issues and make sure none of them is your case.
All at Once and a Surfeit of Unnecessary Opportunities
Your main goal is a fast launch of an eCommerce website and quickly step on the market, not innovate, attempting to reinvent the wheel. So, it is important to implement an SEO strategy and avoid the following:
- Writing a website content management system (CMS) from scratch.
- Requesting a unique design from a famous designer.
- Filling up stock completely.
- Making fantasies with opportunities, which nobody can see, until you get some website traffic.
- Hiring the whole staff at once.
You can only imagine: you started building an online store, added some extremely great features, and so on. However, you should know that this will most likely take a significant amount of time, at least half a year.
You will quickly lag behind the growth of your competition. Either they will be new ones or ones with previous experience. They are going to give their SEO their all. When it comes to the planning and creation of an eCommerce website, including website advertising in the budget allocation from the very beginning is essential. It won’t be a very pleasant experience if you invest the maximum amount possible in the one-of-a-kind design and functionality of the website just to find out that there are not many costs left over for website marketing. Your website will have the appearance of a high-end automobile with no engine. SEO is the same engine that will let you obtain a high speed and travel confidently in the direction you want.
Problems With a Product Assortment in Ecommerce Websites
Whatever the specifics of your online store, product images should be good and clear. Otherwise, the conversion will be below, especially if it is about clothes. The example is very simple:
- You go to a supermarket and want to choose an item, but there is something dirty. If there is another box, you will take it. If not – you will buy it somewhere else.
- You go to a shoe shop, but you can see that the shoes you want are dirty or behind dirty glass. So you won’t try it and walk away.
It is important to have a diverse selection of products available for customers to pick and choose from. When there are only a few possibilities for you to pick from, your mind automatically begins to wonder if something is wrong with the situation. This is just how human psychology works. The same thing occurs in a real shop, where around one-half of the shelves do not contain any products.
Information regarding the quantity of a product and the availability of different sizes must be kept up-to-date. If this does not occur, there is a possibility that a potential consumer will become irate because of the amount of time that was squandered in an online business.
Will-Do-It-All-Myself Ecommerce SEO
Taking care of everything personally regarding SEO seems to be a good thing at first sight. But will you handle and properly analyze all the directions of Internet marketing activity and steps of a website promotion along with proper SEO alone? Well, whatever you think, a month has 200 working hours unless you plan to work 24/7. So, it is better to assign this task to SEO experts who will give good advice and professional recommendations for your eCommerce website and implement proper SEO.
Why should a top-notch website advancement be allowed to exceptionally qualified subject matter experts? For what reason wouldn’t you be able to accomplish similar outcomes by doing SEO?
- The SEO expert has a group of specialists that can incorporate 12 representatives of various bearings;
- The SEO expert deals with your eCommerce website and ensures proper SEO. At the same time, you are occupied with inside business measures, which no one can do rather than you (directors’ work control, sending items, items supply, an inquiry of new providers, and so on).
Mind that you need to find a proper SEO specialist. Otherwise, you will lose your time and money. Look for SEO case studies, portfolios, technical support, certificates of Google Analytics, and contextual advertising.
Neglecting Details or “I am a Designer”
Every person has unique tastes and preferences. The modification of space or component placement on an eCommerce website is governed by clear criteria and proper SEO. It is necessary to look at leading pioneers and their designs in mind for their websites. You can think about how they study patients and obtain information from examinations. As was mentioned earlier, this is also related to the fact that there is no motivation to invent something that is extremely novel. In addition, make sure you don’t make the same mistake as an off-base plan of pennants; progression will be impacted negatively as a result.
Sales by Phone Calls
When you have a limited flow of customers (around 100 per day, for example), you have the opportunity to be more attentive to them. And you should use it. For example:
- Greetings: “Hi, welcome to… How may I assist you?”
- Recommendations – substitute an unavailable product with an analogous one.
- Manners – please, thank you, etc.
Sometimes nobody picks up the phone and calls back, which is a very sad fact. So, you may invest a lot of money in a website promotion but have no sales. Therefore, it is good if the online store owner plays a shop assistant and can follow these steps competently. In this case, when sales increase, they will know how to hand over duties to a new manager or find a suitable worker.
We experimented with “a secret customer” in five stores by speaking to managers. Unfortunately, only one made a good recommendation and sold a product. So, you need to check your managers’ work regarding orders and consultations to be on top of it.
Ecommerce Website SEO – Getting Ahead!
It’s time to take your eCommerce website to the next level! SEO can be a great way to get ahead in an eCommerce store, and we’ve got some tips and tricks that will help you do just that.
If you think SEO is something only practiced by black-hatted villains of internet lore, think again! Search engine optimization doesn’t have to be mysterious or intimidating. With a bit of research and know-how, you’ll be on your way to creating an eCommerce website optimized for success. So put on your best cape and cowl, because it’s time for you to become the hero of your own search engine story!
Content Marketing for Ecommerce Websites
Content marketing is a direction of investment in marketing. Therefore, you need to work on content immediately – write good articles. Depending on competitiveness, a type, and several keywords, and with other SEO strategies, you will get to top positions in search engines in 3-5 months. Therefore, a store promotion using articles is very relevant nowadays.
Customers’ Trust in Your Ecommerce Website
Customers are the lifeblood of any ecommerce website. You want them to trust your site so they will shop with you, but how do you make that happen? SEO plays a major role in helping customers find and trust your website, but it isn’t just about getting them there. Once they’re at your virtual doorstep, what can you do to make sure they feel secure enough to purchase from you?
Ecommerce websites have many strange and mysterious mechanisms – algorithms, analytics and more! But don’t let yourself be overwhelmed by all this mumbo jumbo – with a few simple steps, you can turn your website into an oasis of trust for customers.
You can’t make all critics and customers satisfied. Sad but true. Nevertheless, if you provide a good quality logo, a full fill-up of the stock, and all the necessary information, you can reach the right conversion rate (1-1.5%).
Analysis of Competitors’ Websites
The online storekeeper’s assignment isn’t to see contenders from the SEO and titles viewpoint. It is appointed to SEO specialists. They need to screen:
- How items are displayed in the index and different turns.
- What is shown as benefits and how.
- What is new in usefulness, and what is absent in the store.
- How they work with advancements.
- How contenders’ chiefs sell and delegate.
These are important issues to analyze on your competitors’ websites. By doing so, you will be able to boost the performance of your own eCommerce website.
Control and Evaluation of Employees and a Contractor
Before everything else, the proprietor of a web-based business website should have a deep interest in the most effective cycles in the industry. As a result, maintaining control over your chief’s sales and the project workers is essential.
You need to maintain a sense of equilibrium in the open working process to check on assigned duties readily. You can make use of a user-friendly and convenient online solution for managing projects and tasks to assign tasks.
A high-quality service surely brings success and positive results. They are difficult to achieve, if:
- No manager is responsible for a particular product category.
- Nobody calls back after being asked for that.
Since there is more competition in the market, you need to acquire the skills necessary to sell effectively. Because of this, it is essential to consider attending schools, seminars, or webinars. Put more emphasis on your customer service because this is a significant step in building confidence in your online store. Do not undervalue its relevance. The operators of online stores have been adhering to this principle for quite some time.
Encouraging to Leave Reviews
You can email a customer with a request to leave a review about the product they bought. It really does work as an extra step to advertise an online store since this approach creates unique content in the catalog of products. Apart from that, this way you add some extra value to a product because somebody shared their independent opinion. Of course, you shouldn’t delete negative reviews. Moreover, you should reply to them and try to fix the issues.
Testing Internet Marketing Channels
You need to test and investigate web showcasing channels. There are not that many channels of web showcasing:
- Organic is traffic from search engines.
- CPC (cost per click) is one of the fastest ways of getting quality potential clients. Launch contextual advertising in Google AdWords. Direct to main categories with high margins and products available.
- Display. This is traffic from display advertising. Remarketing is a powerful tool that returns a customer to an online store. Contextual and display networks are good for branding, but not getting investments back is risky. So, it’s better not to work in this direction.
- Referral. This result is achieved by crowd marketing and placing articles on quality websites linked to the promoted category.
- Email marketing is a method of bringing back potential customers and communicating with them. The main effect is an increase in sales. Suggest your customers leave their email addresses to receive information about discounts and promotions, and you can send them informational articles and request them to leave reviews.
- Price comparison tools help you find your competitors and their prices. Test this channel for certain product categories. Judging by sales, you should invest in this channel. It will let you spend your budget on promotions.
- Social (from social networks) is quite tricky to get a customer. The reason is quite simple: it is unclear who the target audience is. Is it 25-year-olds or 40-year-olds? You don’t have such configurations in contextual advertising. It’s more necessary for branding.
- Teaser Advertising is an advertising message placed on partner websites in the form of “picture + text”. But the thing is, it doesn’t have clear targets for potential customers. The difference is that the ad is launched for everyone simultaneously, and you can’t figure out if a potential customer is interested in the product at that very moment.
This is how Google Analytics bunches channels. Online store advancement techniques should comprise, above all else, SEO, the dispatch of text-based publicizing, and remarketing setup. Additional channels need tests and information investigation from examination, transformation, and computations from ROI. There are situations when an advancement begins utilizing SMM. However, it relies upon the points of interest of an online store (for example, for kids’ and ladies’ items). It’s simpler if a proprietor can ensure it.
Implement Your Ideas for Ecommerce Websites
Let’s make the work of managers more efficient by cutting down on the number of clicks required to handle orders. Let’s set up a website promotion that includes a countdown to the end of the event. It is anticipated that this will improve business operations, increase sales, and result in cost savings. The most crucial thing is that it should be beneficial for your online store; it should not just be for a tick. Your ideas, if implemented, will considerably boost the likelihood of your online store having a successful SEO campaign. It is best to write down your thoughts to avoid forgetting them. It is sufficient to examine and adjust them every month. You can locate ideas:
- By exploring competitors and popular foreign online retailers;
- By reading articles or books about business;
- Communicating with Internet agencies that take care of the development and support of your eCommerce website;
- By trying to take a role of an employee and process an order;
- By making a plan of promotions for a year, for example, New Year, Valentine’s Day, etc.
Some stores invest considerable energy in such examination, and executing thoughts expands deals and fulfills clients.
Becoming an Expert in Your Ecommerce Niche
Have you ever spoken to an online store consultant who couldn’t really answer your questions or explain anything clearly? In addition, there are certain consumers who, before making a purchase, study a few articles about the product in question. Because they know no less about it than your staff, you must educate your managers on the items you offer so that they can become experts. You have to be more knowledgeable than the people that buy from you.
Evolve yourself, improve yourself, and extend your knowledge of the chosen direction to provide yourself with complete information.
Conclusion about SEO for eCommerce Websites
Of course, avoiding mistakes in the organization and promotion of an eCommerce website is difficult. Especially when developing an SEO strategy to ensure your eCommerce website is ranked on Google. SEO is a difficult skill to master, and you may want to consider outsourcing this work to an SEO specialist who has experience with the best SEO techniques. But it is important to react to them properly and on time, relying on modern market demands, your customers’ wishes and needs:
- Dispatch an eCommerce website in merely fourteen days, including a stock.
- Allot web showcasing and put resources into a store advancement (SEO, logical promoting, remarketing).
- Control deals and any remaining cycles; attempt to sell without anyone else.
- Assess your business metrics and ensure greater results for your eCommerce website.
- Examine your competitors and discover how to stand out and be better.
Though the entirety of this is perplexing, doing so will leave you out of that 70% of proprietors who, tragically, halted their eCommerce website SEO.