Why do you need a digital marketing strategy? How can you build an advertising campaign that avoids losses? How important is a smart digital marketing strategy to an online business? Let’s figure it out in order.
Make your site more popular.
Attract new customers from different traffic channels.
- Build and grow a base of potential customers.
- Expand your business.
- Increase profits and brand popularity.
What is Digital Marketing Strategy?
Why you need a digital marketing strategy:
- Increased return on investments.
- Structuring actions.
- Analysis of audience reaction.
- Collection of real statistics.
How to develop a digital marketing strategy:
- Set a goal. You must clearly understand the final result you want to achieve, what needs to be done, and what budget you need to set.
- Find out your target audience. How well you know the habits and needs of your customers determines the success of your advertising campaign and the correct use of your budget.
- Describe your client’s profile (ICP). Facebook Audience Insights and Google Analytics are great tools for this. Understanding your audience’s web habits improves sales. Of course, not all areas need this. For example, if we are talking about an online store, SEO or Google Ads can be neglected at the start.
- Identify effective marketing channels. Answer these questions:
- How exactly will you promote your product?
- Where is it better to buy it?
- What sites do your target audience visit most often?
If it is a local site, they mainly use Google Ads, My Business, Facebook Ads, and local directories. SEO is best for an online store. Of course, it all depends on the planned budget. By the way, in the United States, the approximate spending on one advertising campaign is $1,000-10,000 per month. Explore other traffic channels like TikTok and Instagram. In the beginning, it is best to choose 1-2 channels and put maximum emphasis on them. Other traffic sources can be added later.
- Set up the technical part. To do this, it is necessary to automate e-mail correspondence so the mailing will be quick and efficient. First, check the site for errors in the user’s conversion path. Next, do usability testing for responsiveness and PC versions of the site. Use the checklist here to help you do this usability checklist. Finally, it is important to check the site before launching advertising campaigns. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting a very low conversion.
- Create a chatbot. This will simplify and improve communication in messengers.
Put your team’s efforts on the right track by using the right tactics – and remember the end goal.
Why is Digital Marketing Strategy Important?
A digital marketing strategy is an important part of business development. There are several aspects to support this fact:
- Real estimate of the demand for the product. You will see how many people are willing to pay for a product. This makes up your potential profit. You can check how many impressions a particular request has in the Google Keyword Planner Tool.
- Understanding your customers. The better you understand your audience, the better the website becomes. The product must always be in stock and meet the requirements of potential customers. Otherwise, they won’t buy it. A high-quality product page consists of a detailed description of the characteristics or features, several photos, prices, reviews, and discounts.
- Reducing the risk of losing money. Proper use of finances allows you to make your online store more interesting with a smaller budget.
- Avoiding duplication. The strategy should be designed clearly for your target margin categories in the store. Using someone else’s promotion plan is ineffective, and doing so will result in a waste of time and resources.
- Determining your market share. The potential audience will statistically demonstrate the demand for your product. Analyze this data and determine why people should buy your product. Collect statistics with Google Keyword Planner Tool. The resulting numbers will show how much traffic you will receive from Google Ads, search engines, and organic traffic.
- Optimization of human resources. Each employee must fulfill their assigned task. This requires creating and implementing a phased action plan.
The speed of project implementation directly depends on the work of each person. Therefore, the team must act like a well-oiled machine.
6 Types of Digital Marketing Strategies
There are several main types of digital marketing strategies. The action plan always depends on the product type and its target audience.
The most common digital marketing strategies are listed later in the article.
Social Media Marketing
SMM is a good opportunity to promote a product or service on social networks. The most popular platforms for advertising campaigns are:
To promote your product well on social media, you need to specialize in B2B and LinkedIn services.
How does it work?
Social media gathers customer data. Then, advertising offers are formed based on their interests. Facebook and Twitter are great for native text ads while on Instagram visualization plays a major role.
Videos are a very powerful tool for influencing your audience.
These are types of videos used to achieve digital marketing goals:
- Educational. Demonstrate to the consumer how your product can be used to their benefit. Create a mini-course or short blog with tips.
- Interview. An expert recommendation is a powerful argument for a person considering purchasing your product.
- Reviews. The buyer gets the impression that a real person is in dialogue with them. Due to this, there is a trust in you as a seller.
- Videos from events. These can be from seminars, meetings, or parties. Create the illusion of being in the audience.
- Demonstrations. These videos are needed for the buyer to get to know the product better.
Paid ads at the top of Google search look pretty much the same as regular ads, except for one detail – they all have an “Ad” particle. Based on the auction, these results are displayed at the top of the search page. Many users just click on the first link and do not think this is an advertisement.
This method works well for companies looking to increase traffic to their site quickly. However, it is important to remember. There are very expensive requests – up to $100 per click – which may not pay off in some cases. Therefore, you need to calculate the ROI before choosing a channel. It may well be that the selected traffic channel is not efficient enough to make it worthwhile.
The most popular and effective digital marketing method out there. Of course, that is only the case if you have your own collected email database. Buying unknown email addresses poses the risk of creating spam and negative user reactions to your brand.
The method works great if you need to identify your audience’s interests, create a relevant ad offer, and set up your mailing list.
To send emails, you must first create a lead base. These are the people who will read your email rather than sending it straight to their spam folder. Greeting cards and thank you letters increase customer loyalty while notifying them about all current promotions.
Search Engine Optimization
SEO – optimizing your site increases the number of potential customers.
The closer the site is to the TOP 3, the more organic traffic you will gain from the Google search engine. Google analyzes your website based on algorithms – how well it matches user requests – before it forms the rating. Therefore, it is necessary to start by analyzing the keywords that potential buyers are looking for in this niche.
A detailed analysis of your web pages should be based on:
- Studying the use of keywords.
- Understanding to what extent a service or category of goods meets the target audience’s requirements.
- Correction of all SEO errors that prevent Google from indexing the site.
- Creating a strategy for getting backlinks.
Skillfully performed SEO optimization helps to attract high-quality traffic to the site.
This method helps analyze the project’s current state and determine the development perspective. Marketers need marketing analytics to monitor user behavior on a website page. The main disadvantage of this method is a large amount of data that needs to be constantly processed. With Plerdy, you can easily analyze an ad campaign and build hypotheses to improve usability.
Marketing analytics are also needed to:
- Measure and objectively assess brand capabilities.
- Compare attribution metrics online and offline.
- Drill down to human-level data.
- Contextualize customer and market information.
Incorporate different types of marketing into your strategy, don’t be limited to one or two methods.
What is the Difference Between Digital Marketing Strategy and Digital Marketing Tactics?
Marketing strategy and tactics – what’s the difference between these terms? Let’s figure it out in order.
Marketing strategy contains the steps you need to take towards achieving your goals. How to build your marketing strategy:
- First, determine what makes you stand out from the competition.
- Second, try to emphasize that in your promotion campaign plans.
- Last, calculate finance costs, human resource costs, and deadlines.
This will determine the profitability of your ad campaign and the estimated profit. It is necessary to draw both positive and negative predictions of results. Develop a plan of action in the event of an ad campaign failure. Analyze competitors’ sites and find their weak points. Remember: the flaws of your opponents are your advantages. Once you have set your ultimate goal, determine how you will achieve it.
Marketing tactics are a set of tools for successfully implementing a marketing strategy. For each site, you need to develop an individual plan. Here are the marketing steps that are used most often:
- Website or online store development.
- Analyze market potential based on user queries.
- Site improvements and testing new targeted traffic channels.
- Analysis of competitors from the site’s point of view and advertising campaigns. This can be easily done using services such as similarweb.com, ahrefs.com, and semrush.com.
- Launch the first Google Ads campaign and analyze the results of the micro and macro versions.
- On-page site optimization followed in 1-2 months by off-page planning.
- Using Plerdy, conduct an ongoing analysis of user behavior based on click maps and video sessions, study the impact of site elements on sales.
Digital marketing strategies and tactics are interdependent – use them simultaneously to achieve your business goals.
5 Digital Marketing Strategies Examples and Case Studies
To better understand how marketing strategies work, let’s look at specific cases. To do this, we will analyze five examples of advertising campaigns for global brands.
Why have these digital marketing strategies been successful and generated huge profits for corporations?
Lay’s is a potato chips company. It is an offshoot of the PepsiCo holding.
The essence of the unique #SmileDekeDekho ad campaign was a simple smile. 350 influential and popular personalities from all over the world were selected to promote the company. They became the brand ambassadors and the faces of the advertising campaign.
Why this marketing strategy was successful:
- Flash mob on social networks. Snapchat and Instagram users took photos with a packet of chips and thus attracted new customers.
- Good mood after purchase. A pack of chips was associated with a smile and a positive mood for consumers.
Active, positive action is what truly unites people around the world. Digital marketing has a variety of strategies, but the one where the audience is screaming about the product is the most effective.
The company launched a flash mob: “I …” – each person could try on any role and capture it in a photo. This ad worked especially well with examples of childhood nostalgia. Remember how we played with bubbles in the bathroom or pretended to be a shark there? Thousands of consumers remembered how fun it was – and happily, as adults, took funny pictures.
Why this ad campaign is good:
- Brand association with positive moments in life.
- Involvement in something interesting and large-scale.
Please note that positive activity was involved in this project, as in the previous example. This is the optimal digital marketing strategy.
Airbnb is an online marketplace for posting classifieds and finding short-term home rentals worldwide. The company took a comprehensive approach to its marketing strategy. First, the site gave the owners advice on presenting their property in the best possible light.
Airbnb has created neighborhood guides to help customers pay attention to the addresses they want. Thus, clients saw sights and cafes and places to rest.
Why this ad campaign was successful:
- Users take this offer as advice.
- No obsessive sensation is created.
- A wide choice – the client chooses what is right for them.
Trust and an assortment of options are the main strengths of this campaign. Airbnb uses digital marketing strategies to help sellers better communicate about their product. In this case, the consumer determines whether the proposed product is interesting or not. The advertiser proposes but does not impose.
Android is the most popular operating system in the world. However, it also needs constant promotion and advertising. For example, the Friends Furever animal video ad campaign made a splash on the web.
Why this marketing strategy is attractive:
- Users do not have the impression that this is an advertisement.
- Customers associate a positive video experience with the company.
Fact: Users are happy to share videos that cause affection. This strategy is not like direct advertising. Instead, it perfectly demonstrates the essence of digital marketing – to captivate the user and create positive associations with the product using digital tools.
BuzzFeed is a media company that has gained incredible popularity among users precisely because of its advertising.
The bottom line is that each person indicates their interests when registering – based on this, a mailing list with promotional offers is created. For example, if you like to eat pizza – get an email list of restaurants and cafes that are tasty and inexpensive.
Why users love this ad campaign:
- Personalization. Each person feels that these offers have been specially selected for them.
- Need. People are interested in savings so these letters are read, not deleted.
Such simple techniques always increase consumer loyalty to the company. BuzzFeed is an example of a smart strategy focusing on user interests. Additionally, the company eventually opted to use more sophisticated digital marketing tactics and were equally successful.
A well-built digital marketing strategy is the key to successful promotion. Focus on the result you want to achieve and make a detailed plan that you can follow step by step. Apply various marketing tactics and look for creative solutions to increase your audience. In most cases, customers do not buy because they need to, but because of good advertising. Product presentation plays a critical role in product promotion. Stand out from the competition and demonstrate your value to the consumer. A smart digital marketing strategy is guaranteed to increase profits.