As you know, there are no trifles in UX design. Imagine: simply changing the color of a call-to-action button can increase conversions by 35%, and changing the color of the call-to-action button can increase its effectiveness by 68%!
Of course, there are proven tools for analyzing user behavior. The first thing that comes to mind, in this case, is heatmaps and user session recording. These are solutions that have repeatedly proven their effectiveness. But do you get from them ABSOLUTELY ALL information that can help increase the conversion of your site or landing page?
Here is a situation. A pop-up window with a call to action appears in front of the user. Both the heatmap and the session recording show you that the user stopped at that moment. However, he did not perform the targeted action. Why? Maybe the stop was due to a surprise? Perhaps he tried to review the text but failed in doing so? Probably you’ve misconfigured the targeting or showed the wrong offer to the wrong visitor?
You are unlikely to get 100% accurate answers with heatmaps and session recording alone. Anyway, all this data is just a basis for hypotheses, and the controls should be tested during other approaches, particularly the A/B testing process.
- eye-tracking mouse software;
- time tracking software;
By adding mouse tracking software to the results reported by your heatmaps and user session recording, you can more quickly and accurately figure out the root causes of your website visitor’s behavior. The mouse tracking software is also indispensable when doing A/B testing.
Opinions vary as to how accurately mouse movements reflect eye movements. There is an assumption that there is a correlation of up to 88%. However, the opinion that the actions recorded by the mouse tracking software and the movements of the user’s eyes coincide by 32% should probably be considered more accurate and justified. However, the main advantage of mouse tracking software over expensive equipment for fixing eye movements lies not only in the availability and breadth of audience coverage. First of all, moving the mouse is an action that implies getting a result.
Thus, analyzing data from mouse tracking software, we can see in great detail what the user did and what he wanted, but for one reason or another could not.
In this regard, it is worth taking a closer look at one of the most effective comprehensive solutions for auditing websites and increasing their conversion — the Plerdy platform.
Mouse Tracking Software with Plerdy
User reviews about Plerdy and, in particular, about the mouse tracking software integrated into it are very indicative.
Abdul Sattar G., Senior Web Designer and Front-End Developer, explicitly states that using Plerdy’s tools, he gains access to a website visitor’s thoughts and inner motivations. He notes that heatmaps and mouse tracking software provide guaranteed conversions for the websites he is working on.
Rajesh G, the agency owner, points out that thanks to Plerdy’s tools, including the highly informative mouse tracking software, he doesn’t have to guess what users like on his website and what gets in the way. “Thanks to Plerdy, I’m not guessing, but I know for sure,” he says.
Heatmaps are a kind of snapshot that captures user activity on the site.
With the help of Plerdy heatmaps, you can study in detail which parts of the site are being visited as actively as possible and which are not.
- You can also find areas where, for example, the user expects to see a banner, but there are no active elements.
- Plerdy heatmaps are a tool that allows you to customize reports with filters as precisely as the user needs.
- The result can be segmented by device type and/or traffic channel. Visitors can be grouped by behavior. Using heatmaps, you can figure out which element triggers a visitor to stop surfing your website.
A very striking example of the effective use of Plerdy heatmaps is the audit of the Kredobank website.
Every element of the website, starting from the home page, has been deeply analyzed. The audit found that in some cases, the points of transition to other pages do not meet the target audience’s expectations and remain unclaimed. The changes made in this and many other issues have dramatically increased the conversion of the Kredobank website.
User session recording is a video recording of a user’s activity on a website. Repeated viewing allows you to reveal each detail of his behavior and improve the UX design of the pages.
- This tool has many filters and allows you to track the necessary metrics for specified directions and groups.
- The recording makes it possible to find out how users interact with the elements of the website and why he leaves it.
- Plerdy’s Session replay software also shows the quality of customer support.
Event and Goal Tracking is a tool for tracking user actions in a narrow segment, for example, their interaction with a call-to-action button or registration forms.
- An accurate understanding of the causal relationships that arise in surfing the website allows you to adjust the conversion funnel as accurately as possible.
- Using this tool, you can lower your bounce rate by seeing which elements prevent visitors from taking targeted actions.
- Since visitor activity is manifested precisely through clicks, mouse tracking software lets you see how your potential buyer interacts with elements that push him to the checkout.
- Analysis of the website in this direction allows:
- Analyze KPIs for a specific period.
- Determine the profitability/sterility of marketing campaigns.
- Find the most efficient traffic channel.
- Based on the aggregate analysis of these indicators, the user can build an effective marketing strategy.
Example Mouse Tracking Software
Plerdy’s mouse tracking software is equally effective for individual landing pages and complex websites with a wide variety of services. To study how the analysis of different parts of a website using mouse tracking software leads to an increase in conversion, we can use the example of the Ukrposhta’s site.
Ukrposhta is the most significant postal operator of postal communication in Ukraine. It has 11,000 branches located in every settlement of the country. In addition to purely postal services, Ukrposhta is also engaged in trade and financial transactions (more than 50 services totally).
As mentioned above, mouse tracking software makes it possible to investigate the effectiveness of entire pages and individual blocks on each of them.
Analysis of the main page
The study of the main page of the Ukrposhta website showed that the depth of scrolling is insufficient. No more than half of the users reached the second screen of the page. The task of the audit was to find out the causes of this problem.
- The mouse tracking software found out that the active link in the site logo confused and annoyed users.
- Plerdy’s tools have shown that several elements on a page perform overlapping functions. This distracted visitors and made surfing difficult.
- Heatmaps and mouse tracking software have shown that as many as four buttons that perform popular actions among users are in an inconvenient place. The poor location meant that only 23% of visitors reached them.
- The site login and registration buttons were unsuccessful in terms of the UX interface.
- Plerdy’s mouse tracking software and other platform tools have clearly shown that some items in the central accessibility zone are unpopular among visitors. Moving them down the page dramatically improved usability.
- Mouse tracking software has shown that the search button is extremely popular with visitors but implemented inconveniently for them. Editing this block improved the situation, which was confirmed by reanalysis using the mouse tracking software.
- The mouse tracking software made it possible to discover another drawback of the UX interface — to open the “Services” menu, which is popular with visitors, it was necessary to click on this button. While experience shows: users prefer that a simple hover over an active element immediately brings up the required pop-up window.
This is not a complete list of UX design vulnerabilities discovered by Plerdy’s mouse tracking software on the Ukrposhta website. However, even this small number of examples clearly shows how a comprehensive audit of any site reveals the reasons for low conversion rates. If any element does not work 100% for the overall task, it affects negative results.
Traffic channel research
To clarify these aspects, in addition to mouse tracking software, were used Google Analytics tools. Since the Plerdy platform seamlessly integrates with Google’s online marketing tools, it was not difficult to provide this bundle at the user interface level. Google Ads and Plerdy’s mouse tracking software showed site visitors’ exact level of interest for specific elements. Besides it, the research made it possible to follow the user’s path to the target of interest, starting from the first click.
Hypothesis and solutions
An in-depth study of the Ukrposhta website using mouse tracking software and other tools of the Plerdy platform has irrefutably proved that a visitor makes 89% of clicks on the first screen. However, other elements of the site are outside the user’s interest.
The results obtained during the audit and the research of the mobile version of the site brought essential changes. The conclusions provided the basis for practical recommendations at the level of UX design and in terms of content.
The measures taken have dramatically increased the conversion of this site.
The example of optimization of the Ukrposhta website is highly indicative in the context of the topic of this article. Even the websites of the largest companies with a multi-million dollar turnover and many employees (72,000 people work at Ukrposhta throughout Ukraine) can have significant and sometimes even catastrophic conversion leaks. More importantly, these leaks can be detected and fixed using mouse tracking software and other tools such as the Plerdy platform offers
In the bottom line
As you can see from the examples above, there is never too much audit. Using mouse-tracking software and other Plerdy platform tools, research a site invariably finds room for additional conversions.